Hijikata Toushirou 土方 十四郎
| Hijikata Toushirou |
|Other Names|| Otaku name: Tosshi |
Demonic Vice Commander
|Seiyuu|| 中井 和哉|
Aoni Production Website
|Affiliations||Vice-Commander of Shinsengumi|
|Birthday||5 May / Taurus|
|Others||Right-handed. Chain smoker. Rabid Mayonnaise fan.|
See Historical Precedent
Vice-Commander of the Shinsengumi, Hijikata Toushirou was called the Demonic Vice-Commander 「鬼の副長」, feared by all of his subordinates, except Okita Sougo. Said to be the 'brains of Shinsengumi' 真選組の頭脳, he formulated the Kyokuchuu Hatto 局中法度, the 45 Regulations that form the disciplinary framework for Shinsengumi members, and implements them firmly. He is known to be a brutal interrogator (Episode 102?), capable of extracting confessions from any hardened criminal.
Before joining Shinsengumi, he used to be a trouble-maker ronin, and he enjoys fighting / having a good fight. Even after joining Shinsengumi, he says he doesn't care how many Amanto buildings get blown up, he only looks forward to having a big battle with the Joui rebels after Shinsengumi has rounded them in 1 fell swoop, in Episode 5.
Fiercely loyal to Commander Kondou, when Kondou lost the challenge to Gintoki (for the right to date Shimura Tae) in Episode 8, and the whole Shinsengumi went after the 'Silver-haired samurai' to avenge Kondou's honour, he decided to avenge Kondou by himself and settle the matter once and for all. Thus far, he is possibly the only major male character acquainted with Shimura Tae not to have been roughed up by her.
Hijikata also has romantic feelings for Okita Sougo's sister Okita Mitsuba but prior to joining the Shinsengumi he rejected her, believing that with the life of violence that he lives, he will not be able to provide happiness for her. He deliberately distanced himself from her after she professed her wish to follow him, out of consideration for her safety and happiness, but verbally he told her out loud that he doesn't care about her. He himself subsequently revealed in Episode 87 that he only wished happiness for the person he loved, referring to Mitsuba, during the confrontation with her fiance Kuraba Touma.
This was the main reason Okita Sougo became so angry with him, for what Sougo overheard as heartless rejection of his sister's affection, and probably the primary motivation for all his pranks, insults, 'attacks' on Hijikata.
|[Edit this gallery]|
His personality is almost similar to Gintoki's, resulting in the 2 frequently clashing as rivals (Episode 48 and Episode 166), however Gintoki's sword skills are superior to his (Gintoki won the challenge Hijikata initiated, by breaking Hijikata's sword blade in Episode 9).
He was called the Demonic Vice-Commander 「鬼の副長」, feared by all of his subordinates, except Okita Sougo. He has the tendency to pick on the more timid subordinates, especially Yamazaki Sagaru whenever he wants to 'set an example', and Yamazaki is understandably terrified of his superior's temper. In spite of this, Yamazaki, being the spy, still faithfully reports everything back to Hijikata.
A rabid mayonnaise fan, he drowns all his food in mayonnaise before eating, including dessert and coffee (Episode 166).
He has a stubborn streak, does not like to reveal his weaknesses, always veil his good/kind actions with exaggerated annoyance and agitation. Classified as a 'stoic character' who does not lust for women and who does not like cabaret clubs (when he was on leave, he went to the sauna and cinema).
He has strong sense of pride, in particular with matters related to Shinsengumi. In Episode 102 Shinpachi highlighted that for someone as proud as Hijikata to ask Yorozuya for help, it had to be something really serious.
He is usually pragmatic and down to earth, frequently playing the tsukkomi role in the series:
- when Kondou and Okita followed Matsudaira Katakuriko's over-the-top reaction (on Matsudaira's orders) towards his daughter, Matsudaira Kuriko's admirers in the konbini she was working in, he was the only one who remained rational and down to earth (Episode 114)
- threatened to haul Gintoki and Urara in for obstructing police work when they hijack his patrol car to go after sister Kirara
- when Kondou went stalking Shimura Tae in the Shimura dojo in Episode 127 Pen-pal Chapter, he guessed correctly that his Commander was lurking around in the Shimura compound and came to ask him to go back to work. Earlier on Okita had already popped over asking about his commander, having guessed (correctly) just as much.
- earned another nickname フォロ方十四フォロー follow kata toushi-follow when he demonstrated in letter writing his ability to 'follow-up' on matters competently, impressing even Gintoki in the same Pen-pal Chapter.
- remains firmly unaffected by Matsudaira Kuriko's infatuation towards him, or rather his 'Mayora 13' persona, but possibly due to fear of having to face Matsudaira's wrath
- however, when the opportunity arose to win a visit to the Mayorin Factory, a mayonnaise manufacturing facility in Episode 185, all common sense and pragmatism were thrown out of the window, and he enacted a supplementary regulation to Regulation 25 of the Kyokuchuu Hatto, whereby "All personnel must consume 5 bottles of mayonnaise each everyday" in Episode 185.
As recounted by Kondou in Episode 78, before joining Shinsengumi, Hijikata used to be a trouble-maker ronin, who goes around to the various dojo to create trouble back in Bushuu. He singled-handedly took on a bunch of country samurais, and managed to defeat many of them before he eventually lost due to their strength in numbers. He was picked up by Kondou Isao, who had heard rumours about him, and took him in at his dojo in Bushuu, giving him shelter and even inviting him to join in their training. However, all of Kondou's kind overtures were brusquely rejected by Hijikata. One day, Kondou, having discovered that Hijikata had gone missing, and fearing that the rest of the samurais had come to take revenge on him, set out to search for him. He came upon Hijikata standing in the way of a bunch of unruly ones who were going to smash up Kondou's dojo for having taken in Hijikata. Hijikata was overheard telling them he has already left the place and is no longer associated with him. When the mob decided to barge their way through regardless, Hijikata decided to teach them a lesson, at which point Kondou joined hands with him to strike them down. When the fight was over and the 2 of them were the only ones left standing, Hijikata then gruffly complained that instead of repaying Kondou, he has ended up owing Kondou another debt for his help in the fight.
Please add other trivia of interest regarding this character, whether in Gintama world or in real world.
|List of Gintama Characters|
|Organizations • Families and Relations|
|Shinsengumi 真選組||Kondou Isao 近藤 勲 • Hijikata Toushirou 土方 十四郎 • Saitou Shimaru 斉藤 終 • Okita Sougo 沖田 総悟 • Yamazaki Sagaru 山崎 退 • Harada Unosuke 原田 右之助 • Matsudaira Katakuriko 松平 片栗虎 • Itou Kamotarou 伊東 鴨太郎 • Shinohara Shinnoshin 篠原 進之進 • Kumanaku Seizou 隈無 清蔵 • Kamiyama 神山|
|Okita Family 沖田家族||Okita Mitsuba 沖田 ミツバ • Okita Sougo 沖田 総悟 • Kuraba Touma 蔵場 当馬|
|Matsudaira Family & Relations 松平家族 & 関係者||Matsudaira Katakuriko 松平 片栗虎 • Matsudaira Kuriko 松平 栗子 • Shichibei 七兵衛 • Puusuke プー助|
- Translated from 空知英秋 Sorachi Hideaki, 銀ちゃねる! Gin Channel! (Gintama Official Character Book), 集英社 Shueisha, Jump Comics, page 106.
- Sorachi Hideaki, Gintama, VIZ media, Vol. 15, Lesson 130, page(s) 185.