Shimura Shinpachi 志村 新八

From Gintama
(Redirected from Shinpachi)
Jump to: navigation, search
Shimura Shinpachi
Shinpachi mug.jpg
Seiyuu 阪口 大助
Sakaguchi Daisuke
Aoni Production Link
ANN link
Occupation Yorozuya
Affiliations Yorozuya Gin Chan, Shimura Family
万事屋銀ちゃん, 志村家
Birthday 12 Aug / Leo
Age 16
Species Human
Gender Male
Hair Black
Eyes Brown, wears glasses.
Height 166 cm
Weight 55 kg
Status Live
Others Right-handed. First Kiss given to Pandemonium
"Once a samurai has made up his mind to protect something, he will protect it right to his death."
Shimura Shinpachi


Shimura Shinpachi 志村 新八 is a member of the Yorozuya and a samurai in training. He is the tsukkomi aka 'straight guy' of the series, delivering the requisite reality-checks or punchlines against other characters' farcical antics. He has limited dojo training, but inherited a dojo together with his older sister Shimura Tae called Koudoukan (恒道館), specialising in the Tendoumushin sword-fighting style (天堂無心流 - Tendou Mushin Ryuu).


Shinpachi has black hair and brown eyes. He wears a light blue keikogi with blue linings and a blue hakama.

Throughout the series he is seen wearing various disguises and has been shown in different styles for gags.


Shinpachi is frequently teased by Sakata Gintoki, supposedly his employer and later on, by Yagyuu Kyuubei for having a 'sister-complex' for being overly attached to his sister. Because he is not as highly skilled as Kagura, he is often bullied by Kagura who literally gives him a physical thrashing. He takes charge of all the household chores in the Yorozuya due to his 'inclination to care for other people' (as he explained during the Goukon in Episode 88). All of the above, combined with his plain bespectacled look made him the archetypal downtrodden nerdy character. In Episode 106 he was portrayed as a horse with eye-glasses while the others were shown as warriors on horses. Whenever Makoto, the 'Centaur' character/mascot played by Gintoki with Kagura as a corpse makes an appearance, Shinpachi is the hind quarters of the horse (for example Episode 124). To expand:

  • Rabid fan of fictional pop-idol Otsuu in the same series, gets so moved by her songs that tears fall down whenever he listens to her songs
  • Leader of the Terakado Tsuu's Imperial Guards ...
  • likes to sing, but is totally tone-deaf
  • according to Gintoki in Episode 126, Shinpachi is made up of 95% eye-glasses, remaining 5% comprises 3% water and 2% rubbish
  • Has studied sword fighting at his families dojo
  • Although his fighting abilities are not as strong as his two friends , Kagura with her monstrous strength and Gintoki with his sword mastery, he has been shown to be able to fight with not only his sword but in boxing and with his intelligence. He was able to knock back Kyuubei in Episode 81 and fight with Tosshi using boxing in Episode 163 and figure out a way to get past Hijikata's human wall in Episode 159.clean-up:to rephrase, omit redundancy

Background Story

Please describe his background story, how he came to be in this current form/situation.


Please add other trivia of interest regarding this character, whether in Gintama world or in real world.

List of Gintama Characters
Organizations Families and Relations
Yorozuya Gin Chan 万事屋銀ちゃん Sakata Gintoki 坂田 銀時Shimura Shinpachi 志村 新八Kagura 神楽Sadaharu 定春
Terakado Tsuu's Imperial Guards 寺門通親衛隊 Shimura Shinpachi 志村 新八Takachin タカチンTakatin タカティンSergeant 軍曹
Shimura Family 志村家 Shimura Tae 志村 妙Shimura Shinpachi 志村 新八
Koudoukan 恒道館 Obi Hajime 尾美 一Shimura Shinpachi 志村 新八Shimura Tae 志村 妙

  1. Translated from 空知英秋 Sorachi Hideaki, 銀ちゃねる! Gin Channel! (Gintama Official Character Book), 集英社 Shueisha, Jump Comics, page 32.